Tuesday, August 30, 2011

From the Vault!! - SHRIMP Aywanna Layou! -The Gay Gourmet!™

Hey folks! I know I've been MIA but with summer adventures and doing a show up by the Finger Lakes I haven't had a moment for much of anything!

I figured I'd start anew with an old post I found that I had never posted....and thus it begins!!

ALOHA My little manu's (that's hawaiian for bird)

Mother Nature keeps teasing me here in NYC with tiny morsels of fabulous warm weather so in hopes of invoking a little more warm weather, sandy beaches, booze, hot boys in Speedos® and more I have created this dish just for you!

A little background about these li'ili'i 'opae! (little skrimp...yes I said skrimp)

Picture it..

My buddy Zach was over one evening with some not so healthy snacks, the night was young, we were intoxicated and hungry, just two buddies catching up, shooting the breeze... when all of a sudden a man knocks on the door saying.. "PLUMBER!" well I was like I didn't call a plumber... WAAAIT a minute I'm getting my stories mixed up...







Anywho, when the evening had come to an end he left me with this LARGE BAG of LAY'S® Potato Chips! These are not something I eat often for obvious reasons. So, I took those Lay's and I hid them away! The problem was no.1 how could I resist them and no. 2 I felt bad throwing that "food" out!

In order to convince myself that I was eating something mildly good for me I created this dish which in turn is kinda really bad for you but OH SO FREAKIN' GOOD! I even surprised myself!

And so it was I created My Shrimp Aywanna Layou with Pineapple Chutney!

I mean...can I really insult an entire people in one blog? Well I could but that's not what I'm going for! It's delicious and if anything this is an homage to the loverly Hawaiian people! I mean, if Bing Crosby can sing Mele Kalikimaka I can certainly sing the praises of my Shrimp Aywanna Layou! (pron: Shrimp-I-Wanna-Lay-U, cause they are that good) In Hawaiian it's "'Opae a'u makemake hana hana m'ai 'oe" I'm sure that's completely incorrect but it was fun to look it up in a dictionary!

So without further Adieu I give to you Ms. Hawaisland Crusteaseous!

(these pics are camera phone pics... don't judge I didn't have film for my Pentax!)



Her Needs

1 lb of Uncooked Shrimp (cleaned & de-veined)
1 cup Buttermilk
1 cup flour
5 Eggs (beaten)
Lay's Breadcrumbs (recipe below)
Pineapple Coconut Chutney (recipe below)




Once shrimp is clean, take small batches and soak in buttermilk, then dredge in flour, coat in egg and then toss in Lay's® Breadcrumbs! Repeat till all shrimp are coated.




Meanwhile in a heavy bottomed pan heat enough cooking (as in canola) oil to shallowly fry shrimp. I used about 3/4 cup. (JUST THE TIP: The way you know your frying oil is ready is by sticking the handle of a wooden spoon in it. If tiny bubble start to spin out of the handle, when inserted, the oil is good to go!!) Cook shrimp for about 4 minutes on each side till the breadcrumbs are beautifully golden on both sides! Drain on a paper towel!




Lay's® Bread Crumbs

3/4 bag of Lay's® Original Potato Chips
2 TBS garlic powder
2 TBS Onion powder
1 TBS Red Pepper flakes
1 TBS ground pepper

In a heavy duty storage bag crush chips and combine with other dry ingredients. Seal and shake bag to combine all ingredients. (Note: for a little extra spice add more red pepper flakes)

Pineapple/Coconut Chutney
1.5 cup fresh chopped pineapple
.5 cup White Sweet Onion
1.5 tsp Cumin
2 TBS light brown sugar
.5 cup Water
1 TBS Rice Wine Vinegar
2 TBS grated Coconut (toasted)
2 TBS fresh chopped Cilantro.







To toast coconut place in a dry skillet over medium heat and cook till fragrant/starts to brown. about 3 minutes.

Combine all ingredients, except cilantro and coconut in a medium sauce pan and reduce over medium heat till thick. About 15 mins or so. Once thickened, pull from heat and let cool. Transfer to your Magic Bullet or food processor and pulse a couple times so that it's still chunky yet a bit more combined. Stir in cilantro and coconut and go to town!!!







Good Luck! Save some Weight Watchers® PointsPlus® for these cause you won't be able to keep your hands off of them!!



Well this is it for right now!

I'm doing a show called Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up? at this fabulous theatre in Central New York! It's been a great so far and I return home on September 11th!



Look how cute I am...(that wig is something else...)

I promise to start catching up more now that the show is up and running and I haev a bit more time on my hands!

Thanks for all the love and support via the blog and twitter! I heart you dearly!

Deliciously Living,

Michael Muñoz
The Gay Gourmet!™

©2011 Michael Muñoz



3 comments:

  1. So u can cook, act and you're funny as well. Loved this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are talented, you can cook and your a comedian...I love it =)
    erecipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny and creative. Love it. Good luck with your show.

    ReplyDelete