Monday, November 14, 2011

Linq to my heart! - The Gay Gourmet!™

I heart fall! The brisk air, scruffy men, the always impending feeling of snow on it's way, men that look like lumberjacks, the fashions, scruffy men in hats & boots and pumpkin everything just brings out the coziest of feelings in me! I often just wanna wrap myself in a cashmere throw (if I owned one), make myself a Pumpkin hot toddy and put on some of my fave low key tunes.

You know that your Gay Gourmet!™ besides being a fabulous cook, is a Gourmet musician and loves himself some lesser known but Gourmet Fabulous folky tunes. From the Hot and Scruffy Jay Brannan (he is SO De-Li-Cioso!), to my good friend and Cat Diva Sarah Donner to my latest find Linq! (Pron: Link)

Linq is a beautiful, self taught, lesbian, folk singer/activist who has a penchant for Dark Chocolate & Greek Yogurt flavored with honey! I had the pleasure of meeting her at the OUTmusic Awards where she won an award for OUTstanding OUTmusician for her music and activism!

As a woman who grew up in the 60's you would never guess Linq spent most of her life as a pharmacist in Massachusetts. Being disillusioned by the pharmaceutical companies in 2000 she knew it was her time to sell her pharmacy and move on to her next phase in life. So, at the young age of 55 she stepped up on stage and never looked back.  Her influences are many, but mainly come from Bob Dylan, Led Zepplin and Joan Baez. In her own words...
"I saw Led Zeppelin on their first US tour and love Joan Baez, but don’t expect some wide-eyed hippie in tie-dye cooing about love and daisies. Sure, if you went to the first Woodstock and you want peace-loving music, you’ve come to the right place, but your kids will also love my refreshingly direct folk-rock with a touch of blues, vintage R&B and yep, even techno, with anthems that’ll make you dance around your living room or call your congress person, some at the same time."
She is definitely edgy with her content in a way that is unoffensive yet thought provoking, which is nice to hear these days! (I sound like I'm an old man all of a sudden) As far as LGBTQ musicians go she is on top of my list for a calm day! My favorite part is that she she loves a good party (but who doesn't really) and her friends go wild for her Fettuccine with Swordfish! She even sent along the recipe for you all!

"Here's the yummy dish I was telling you about:

Fettuccine with Swordfish and Roasted Red Pepper

Ingredients:

fettuccine to serve 4
12 oz. swordfish steak trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
2 tbsp. virgin olive oil
1 red pepper
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

1. Combine the swordfish cubes, garlic, lemon juice and 1 tbsp. of the oil in an ovenproof baking dish. Toss well, cover and let the mixture marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.


2. Roast the red pepper in a preheated broiler about 2 inches below the heat source, turning the pepper from time to time until it's charred on all sides. Transfer the pepper to a bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. The trapped steam will loosen the skin.


3. Set the oven temperature at 400 degrees. Bake the swordfish cubes in their marinade until they're cooked through (about 6 to 8 minutes)
4. While swordfish is baking peel, seed and derib the pepper, holding it over the bowl to catch any juice. Cut the pepper into thin strips and strain the juice to remove any seeds. Set the strips and juice aside.

5. Meanwhile, add the fettuccine to 3 quarts of boiling water with 1 1/2 tsp. of salt and cook until it's al dente. Drain the pasta and transfer it to a large bowl. Add the remaining tbsp. of oil, the red pepper and juice, and the parsley. Toss well. Add the swordfish and its cooking liquid, toss gently, and serve at once."

This recipe is simple, light in flavor, healthy & delicious! I used whole wheat pappardelle as that is what was fresh at the market. I also added some red pepper flakes, the other half of the lemon cause I really like zingy food and some cheese cause you can't have pasta without cheese! Either way you dish it out it's fantastic!

I have to thank Linq for taking time out of her busy schedule to talk and cook with me! Also if you are passing through Mass stop by her book store, Bruce's Browser! I hear there's a retro soda fountain and the best hot fudge sundaes in all of Massachusetts with real marshmallows and specially ordered haute couture chocolate for the fudge! It's right on 2A! Look at the site here - Bruce's Browser!

You can find Linq and her music at here - I love Linq - or find her music on itunes, Spotify and all those fabulous sites!

Here's to Hot Chai Lattes's, pumpkin spice & good music!

Live Deliciously friends & foodies!

Michael

The Gay Gourmet!™
©2011 Michael Muñoz

No comments:

Post a Comment