Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Interruptus Frankus!!

Now, I'm standing in the kitchen makin' some tomatillo salsa and in storms Franky sayin' you've been screwin' the milkman!! okay.. nooo he didn't say that exactly and he didn't run into my knife 10 times* (not that I didn't think of it) but he did have a lot to say...So without further adieu...(if you need some chips and Tomatillo Salsa first, scroll down & then sit back and enjoy)

(For those of you that didn't get the loose reference click & watch here... shame on you! Fast Forward to 3:55)

Now because of the Holigays, my Big Gay Birthday (which he didn't get me anything nor wish me a happy birthday at this point) and work Frank really hasn't been knocking on my door and I think everything is fine till he comes at me with this..


Frank..The Gay Gourmet™ blog is a springboard to hopefully getting my own variety cooking show one day soon. How many times do I have to tell you! As for the pictures of women..we'll have to have a sit down about that one...get over it..and as for your gift I didn't even get a happy birthday! But without even listening to a word I said he moves on to say...



If you want to see what picture of me he is referencing click here
Now I think he means I look like actor Frank Coraci

I look nothing like this man and am slightly insulted! (wondering why he didn't run into my knife at least once by now..)

Being the nice guy that I am..I offer him a beverage and that sends him into a tizzy about a drink recipe I posted...


(click here if you need the fabulous drink recipe reference)
It's delicious no matter what he says and is worth the trip to the store.

Once again before I could even respond he comes at me with this..

and out the blog door he went! Like a bull in a china shop! Well thanks for the birthday wish Frankus where ever you are... I guess I gotta go shopping for a belated Christmas Present!

TOMATILLO SALSA!

So this was my first attempt ever at making tomatillo salsa and it came out pretty fantastically! I decided to make it because the fruit and veg market where I shop had them for the first time and they looked so cute I couldn't resist! Let me know what you think! Weight Watchers® this is a good, low points, one for you lovelies!

5 medium Tomatillos husked and rinsed
4 cloves of garlic peeled
4 to 5 jalepeños seeds removed and diced or you can substitute a large Chipotle pepper or hot cubano if you want more heat!
1 small to medium yellow or red onion - whatever you like best!
a small batch of cilantro (about 1/2 a cup to 3/4) chopped


Take your husked rinsed tomatillos and your garlic, rub them in a little olive oil and salt and throw them under the broiler till nicely charred. Charred meaning that they have a nice brown/black color starting to appear on them (about 15 mins) Watch them closely so they don't burn!!

Now you can do one of two things with your onions and I'll let you decide how you want your salsa cause either way is delicious! The first way is to husk and slice the onion up and let it char with the tomatillos and garlic. easy..

Or you can husk your onion, slice it up and throw it in a pan over medium heat with a little olive oil and let it caramelize! Now this is slightly time consuming and if you are gonna do it this way make the onions first before you do anything. You want to let the onions brown so stir every so often but not too much as they wont brown easily that way. Once the browning starts and they start to stick to the bottom of the pan then you can stir and scrap a little more often. I like this because it adds a nice sweetness to the savory and spicy that this salsa can be. It's totally worth it!!

Either way make all of that and throw it in a food processor with about a tablespoon of olive oil, some salt & pepper and the cilantro (save a little for garnish) and pulse a couple times till combined yet still chunky! pour it in a bowl and serve with your favorite chips, put it on your eggs in the morning, serve on tacos, over steak the possibilities are endless!




Remember Cook fearlessly, Live deliciously!

Michael Muñoz
The Gay Gourmet™

©2011 Michael Muñoz

No comments:

Post a Comment