Well it's official folks! I am an equal citizen! As of last night the state of New York declared Gay Marriage legal being the largest state in America to put this into effect. All I can say is that I am more proud to be a born and raised New Yorker than I have ever been!! From the millions of phone calls made, to the money raised, to the thousands of people marching through the streets; our hard work has paid off! We can make a difference and it was proved last night!
With this joyous news on pride weekend I find it more than appropriate to repost my recipe for rainbow cookies!
Yes I know I should have come up with something new and fabulous but between all the work I've been doing and the celebrating coming there has been no time for anything! Plus these cookies are quite fabulous!
On to the cookies!
These cookies are a little time consuming to make but they are SO cute, would be an awesome project to do with your kids or loved ones, and they are super tasty!
Cream butter & sugar (Notice lack of KitchenAid), the add egg, vanilla, a orange zest!
Step 2. Mix together flour, baking soda & salt
Step 3. Combine Flour with Wet mixture!
Separate dough into six parts & color (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet)
Step 5. Put into pastry bags and bask in how pretty it is!!
Step 6. Pipe out cookies colors in order to create cute rainbows!
Bake them @ 350 for about 20 mins or until they look unmoist!
Voila!!!! A Gay Cookie have you!
* 1 Cup of Butter (2 sticks), softened
* 1/2 Cup sugar
* 3/4 Cup Confectioners Sugar
* 2 Egg Yolks
* 1 tsp Vanilla
* Zest of 1 Orange (about a heaping TBS)
* 2 1/4 Cups Flour
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* White Vinegar divided in to 6 portions of 1/4 tsp
* Food Coloring - Red, Blue, Yellow, Green
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat 2 sticks butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar until fluffy.
2. Beat in egg yolks, vanilla and orange zest.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt
4. In sections stir dry ingredients into the butter mixture till combined!
5. Separate dough into six parts in six bowls. The color of RED has to have the most dough and purple being the last color in the rainbow has the least. A good way to gauge is use a heaping cup for the red and 1/3 cup for the purple.
6. Once separated mix colors into dough Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple with vinegar. To make colors that aren't in the box follow the directions on back of food coloring box. (Note: The vinegar helps keep the color vibrant so you don't have to use a ton of dye!)
7. Place colored dough into piping bags and pipe out colors in order on greased baking sheets.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until till cookies don't look moist.
9. Take them out of the oven and let cool for 5 mins before transferring to wire racks!
Any left over dough you can use to make fun silver dollar sugar cookies!
A Gayer Cookie you will not find anywhere else! Be Proud my loves! Together , one day, we will live in a world of love!
The Gay Gourmet!™
©2011 Michael Muñoz