Wow! What a week this has been!! 7 detailed, delicioso cookie posts in a row, two holidays, a lot of liquor and so much support from my fellow foodie community! It almost makes me want to cry cause it was so beautiful!
There is also a new first with this blog post. I am trying my hand at taking all the pictures myself! Don't get me wrong... I LOVE John Dolan & his photography but I'm sure you all know it comes with the territory of food bloggin and it's much better & easier to be self sufficient. NO? Plus I'm using Momma Gladys' 35mm Pentax. Yup! Film folks FILM! Let me know what you think about how I did!
On to the cookie. There are two inspirations for this last cookie. No.1 being that how could I call myself The Gay Gourmet!™ and not give you a über gay cookie? And no.2 in 2010 a cookie shop in Indianapolis refused to make these gay cookies for an LGBT college group that was having an event as they did not want to endorse homosexual activity. Well I hate to break it to them but there are few things gayer than owning a cookie shop! Hahaha.
So on to The Gay Gourmet's!™ Rainbow Sugar Cookies! aka Ms. Pride Cookie!
These cookies are a little time consuming to make but they are SO cute, would be an awesome project to do with your kids or loved ones, and they are super tasty!
Cream butter & sugar (Notice lack of KitchenAid), the add egg, vanilla, a orange zest!
Step 2. Mix together flour, baking soda & salt
Step 3. Combine Flour with Wet mixture!
Separate dough into six parts & color (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet)
Step 5. Put into pastry bags and bask in how pretty it is!!
Step 6. Pipe out cookies colors in order to create cute rainbows!
Bake them @ 350 for about 20 mins or until they look unmoist!
Voila!!!! A Gay Cookie have you!
* 1 Cup of Butter (2 sticks), softened
* 1/2 Cup sugar
* 3/4 Cup Confectioners Sugar
* 2 Egg Yolks
* 1 tsp Vanilla
* Zest of 1 Orange (about a heaping TBS)
* 2 1/4 Cups Flour
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* White Vinegar divided in to 6 portions of 1/4 tsp
* Food Coloring - Red, Blue, Yellow, Green
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat 2 sticks butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar until fluffy.
2. Beat in egg yolks, vanilla and orange zest.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt
4. In sections stir dry ingredients into the butter mixture till combined!
5. Separate dough into six parts in six bowls. The color of RED has to have the most dough and purple being the last color in the rainbow has the least. A good way to gauge is use a heaping cup for the red and 1/3 cup for the purple.
6. Once separated mix colors into dough Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple with vinegar. To make colors that aren't in the box follow the directions on back of food coloring box. (Note: The vinegar helps keep the color vibrant so you don't have to use a ton of dye!)
7. Place colored dough into piping bags and pipe out colors in order on greased baking sheets.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until till cookies don't look moist.
9. Take them out of the oven and let cool for 5 mins before transferring to wire racks!
Any left over dough you can use to make fun silver dollar sugar cookies!
A Gayer Cookie you will not find anywhere else!
Thanks for joining me on this crazy ride that was National Cookie Week! I can't wait till next year!
The Gay Gourmet!™
NCW Image by Gerard Conte ©2011
©2011 Michael Muñoz