Well it's finally here!! NATIONAL COOKIE WEEK! I really can't wait to see what my foodie friends across the globe come up with!
My first post of the week is a collaboration between myself and my co-host Zach from Schmackary's. (His cookies are so delightful that sometimes I have dirty thoughts about them! Check them out here - COOKIES!) Since many of you reading this are across the globe you may have the luxury of ordering his cookies, although I'm sure he will ship them if you are in a reasonable location! SO, here is a recipe for a Gay Gourmet!™/Schmackarys collaboration so you can make/enjoy them at home! He will also bake you a batch if you are not kitchen savvy or just plain lazy!!
BACON CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!!
1 cup unsalted butter softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
1tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 cup dark chocolate chunks
1/3 cup maple syrup
1. lay bacon slices flat on a cookie sheet covered in aluminum and bake at 350 for about 25 -30 mins. Once it starts to brown remove, drain excess fat and flip. When it starts to crisp pour maple syrup all over the bacon and bake for another 5 to 8 mins till nice and crisp (but not burnt!
2. Remove bacon (but leave the oven on 350) and let cool as it drains on paper towels. Once cool coarsely chop into small chunks.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (that I don't own so i did it by hand) Cream butter and sugars together till fluffy.
4. Add Eggs one by one till incorporated and then add vanilla.
5. Dilute baking soda in a 1 tsp of water and add to wet ingredients.
6. In a separate bowl whisk together flour and salt and in sections add to wet ingredients.
7. Once combined add chocolate chips and bacon and fold into dough.
8. Put tablespoon sized spoonfuls about an inch apart on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minute or until golden, rotating the baking sheet halfway through the cookie time.
9. Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
10. store in airtight container for up to 5 days.
Why Bacon Chocolate Chip?
Well I was inspired by a a chocolate company named Vosges. They make the most delicious bacon chocolate bars and I love the combination so I figured why not? They also do sell their own version of the cookie but since I can't afford cookies or chocolate for that matter from an expensive yet SO delicious chocolatier I set out on my own adventure to make this cookie.
I had a couple versions of this recipe each with their own problems. SO, when I met Schmackary's and we began to collaborate on National Cookie Week we felt a joint cookie was a must and this one was just perfect. So the recipe went though his hands/kitchen and back to me. I filtered and played with it yet again and this is my final version of this recipe. Zach from Schmackary's has a slightly different technique/secret that makes his version equally as delicious but essentially it's the same cookie!
Hope you enjoy! Stay tuned tomorrow for my next NATIONAL COOKIE WEEK RECIPE!
Thanks to John Dolan for all the wonderful food photos! I couldn't have done it without him! Check him out here..TREES!
The Gay Gourmet!™
©John Dolan Photography 2011
©2011 Michael Muñoz