Monday, March 21, 2011

Momma G's Corned Beef! -The Gay Gourmet!™

Yes, I know St. Patrick's Day was last week. Yes, I know I probably should blog about these things before they happen. Yes, I know I'm late and YES I know I'm Puerto Rican so what am I doing even celebrating St. Patty's day?

Actually, my family has been celebrating St. Pat's for as long as I can remember. My Grandmother who was Momma G's mom would make Corned beef, cabbage and boiled potatoes like none other. Green carnations were strewn across the house & the luck o' the Irish filled our spirits!

Well tradition was passed down to Momma G and this year it was about time I learned. Plus a little piece of me believes Momma Gladys wants a piece of this blog action. SO she walked me through it step by step, took some photos & wrote a recipe just for you!

So without further adieu...

Momma Gladys' St. Patty's Day Corned Beef & Cabbage with Boiled Potatoes!

For this you will need

* 1 corned beef (preferably the one that comes with the seasoning packet & that is thin cut)
* 1 medium cabbage
* About 1lb to 1.5 lbs of small red potatoes
1 Irish Soda bread (Amy's Bread makes a fabulous one!)

Spices -
* 2 tbs black pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped parsley
* 1/4 cup fresh chopped oregano
* 1 medium yellow onion
* 1 medium red onion
* 2 Heineken beers (12oz bottles)





1. In a large pot (filled 3/4 of the way with water) add pepper, chopped parsley & oregano & the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef. Put that on high flame until it boils.




2. Cut the yellow & red onion into 4 pieces each. Wash the corned beef. When the water boils, introduce the corned beef (fat side up) and put in the onions. (you will cook it for 1hr per pound-- ex: if the meat weighs 4lbs-- you have to cook it for 4 hrs.) (Check it occasionally)





3. When the water evaporates to a little less than 1/2, pour in the beers and add a little more water, if needed to cover the meat.





4. Next about 1/2hr to 45 mins before the meat is done, wash the potatoes & the cabbage (discarding the big green leaves.) Place potatoes in water with salt & the cabbage you will cut in 4 pieces (make sure you cut the heart out & discard) & place in another pot with water & salt. Bring water to boil and Cook till fork tender.





5. When done drain the potatoes & cabbage. When the corned beef if cooked, remove from pot and put on cutting board and cut amount needed into thin slices. (put remainder back into pot)





6. Serve the meat with a little spicy mustard (either on side or on top) with the red potatoes cut in half. The cabbage (with a little olive oil & bit of vinegar) on top.





7. Put a slice of the Irish soda bread on the side & serve your meal with nice cold beer!




ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hug's & Kisses

Momma Gladys



Well there it is folks. An Irish meal done by a feisty Hispanic lady! Let me know how it goes if you decide to keep your St. Patty's day party goin'! I guess I'm gonna have to think of leftover creations now? I'll get right on that!

Deliciously Living,

Michael Muñoz

The Gay Gourmet!™

©2011 Michael Muñoz

No comments:

Post a Comment