Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cookin' for Penny! the Weight Watchers® Addendum to Spread 'em & Dip it!

I have known my friend Jennifer, (Penny) I'm the only one allowed to call her that so back off, for about 12 years now. When I first met Jennifer I knew it was gonna be one of those everlasting, jolly, mayhem filled relationships and I was fully prepared. Jennifer is an opera singer and you better watch out cause she is FIERCE! Over the years of her auditioning and performing, there has been only one thing holding my Penny back from greatness... her weight.

A few years back, as she tells the story, she was doing a production where she was playing a supporting role. The lead girl was this petite thing that wasn't bad but Penny could have totally sang the hell out of that part.

(I know that sounds bitchy but really as a singer/performer myself you know when you can out sing/dance/act someone and I guess this was one of those instances. Another side note is that a lot of times in the performing world you get the part cause you are pretty and skinny not because you are talented.) I digress..

One night during the performance something clicked in Penny's head and the next day she got on a treadmill joined the Weight Watchers® and never looked back!

I have researched the program and even tried it for myself for a little while, as an experiment, as I endeavored into this world of food blogging and it works. Ive seen it in Penny, in my Drag Queen friend All beef Patty and many others!

So from this day forward I will dedicate all Weight Watchers® addendums to you Penny and to all my friends struggling with weight issues! hopefully I can inspire you to find ways to still eat deliciously and lose weight at the same time!

So lets begin..the other day I wrote the first installment of recipe blog called Put It In Me! (those dark pink words are a link to it..click it!) You will have to reference that for the recipes but I've given you point break downs and maybe even some changes to make it lighter, healthier and points friendly so you can beast!!!

The Olive Tapenade!

1 lb of Olives will cost you 13.5pts

2tbs capers 0pts

3 to 4 Roasted Garlic cloves is about 2 points depending on how much Olive Oil you used when roasting it.

If you make the Tapenade a little less rich with EVOO by using

1 TBS in the processor 4pts
1Tbs for Garnish 4pts

The cilantro, pepper, oregano, lemon zest and juice are 0pts

total points = 23pts total

which is basically 4 points a serving for 6 servings.*

*Remember you are dipping and spreading..so you could possibly not even eat a full serving..Granted you can B.L.T (bite lick & taste) your way into a predicament but be your smart Weight Watcher self and this could be a healthy and delicious snack!!

Moving on to my Oh So Delicioso Cannellini Bean Dip it!

15oz can of Cannellini Beans is about 3 cups - 7.5pts

If you use 1/3 cup light sour cream instead of full fat 2.5pt (or fat free is 1pt)

My jar of Sundried Tomatoes is telling me that it's 1 point for 4 pieces but I don't believe it cause they are oil soaked! I'm gonna give them 2 point per 4 pieces cause I bet I can squeeze out 2 teaspoons of oil from it or at least a 1.5 tsp.

So You figure 6 to 8 oil packed sundried tomatoes is 3 or 4pts.

Again 3 to 4 Roasted Garlic cloves is about 2 points depending on how much Olive Oil you used when roasting it.

The rest of the ingredients are 0pts.

So the tally is.... 20pts total 6-8 servings 3.5pts or 2.5 a serving*!!! DELICIOSO!!!

*Who cares if you eat a full serving cause its only 2.5pts and freakin' delicious!

Now this mushroom, blue cheese, maple walnut spread('em) maybe a challenge but lets see what we can do here...

Portobello Mushrooms 8 large is 7pts

3 to 4 Roasted Garlic cloves is about 2 points depending on how much Olive Oil you used when roasting it.

use 1/2 cup blue cheese instead of 3/4 cup - 6.5pts (a little B.cheese goes a long way)

1/3 cup walnuts - 7pts

3tbs maple syrup is 3 points

and use 2 tsp EVOO instead of a Tbs - 2.5pts

salt & pepper don't cost you anything except maybe a little water retention.

The grand total - 28 points - 6 servings will cost you 4.5 points a serving*

* Ill say it again - Remember you are dipping and spreading..so you could possibly not even eat a full serving..Granted you can B.L.T (bite lick & taste) your way into a predicament but be your smart Weight Watcher self and this could be a mildly healthy and delicious snack!!

SO there we have it folks! My first installment of Cookin' for Penny! She's an inspiration, gorgeous & a diva!! (see photo below! Courtesy of yours truly)

Stay true to yourselves and your diet and you too could look just as fabulous!! And remember activity points come in all forms! So pick up the pace on your way to the supermarket, work or to pick up the kids, break a sweat and earn an extra point or two for the Mushroom, blue cheese and maple walnut Spread('em)!!

Deliciously Living!

The Gay Gourmet™


No comments:

Post a Comment