Sunday, February 27, 2011

Holy Guacamole!!! - The Gay Gourmet!™

80% of this weekend was fairly quiet for me and if you have any sense of who I am by now, I'm a mover & shaker! I rarely do quiet! But I needed it...a little recharge of the ol' bat'ries! So you could imagine by Sunday night I was goin' a little crazy!

Well it just so happened that on Friday (right before I bumped into Ms. Chita Rivera on the Street!! Holy Guacamole Indeed!) I hit the jackpot at my local fruit market. Avocados, jalepeños, pineapples (although not really in season) all sorts of things! SO I certainly bought a little of everything.

Today's blog is in honor of Mother Nature being a Spring tease and in hopes of invoking some beautiful warm weather!

Ladies & Gentlemen introducing

The Siren of all Guacamole's - Ms. Ferocia Avocado! (aka Pineapple Jalepeño Guac.)

I love that I just gave my Guacamole a Drag name but seriously... She seems sweet at first but she'll get you in the end! (Don't you get any ideas!)

Her Needs...


*3 Hass Avocados (those are the small ones that look like they have crocodile skin)
*5 Jalepeños seeded de-ribbed & chopped
*1 medium Poblano Pepper
*3/4 cup Fresh Pineapple cubed into small pieces
*1 small red onion
*the Juice of 1 lime
*1/2 cup freshly chopped Cilantro
*1 tsp Olive Oil + a drop more for roasting the poblano
*Kosher Salt & fresh cracked Pepper


A note about avocados. There are large green one and small green ones. I personally don't feel as if there is a difference as I grew up eating both. I personally am partial to the large ones (Don't you get any ideas!) What it comes down to is that you want to make sure that they are ripe. If they are rock hard put them in a brown bag or in the cupboard for a couple days and they should soften up nicely. Too soft is no good!

A note about the pineapple... If you are using a piece of a fresh pineapple they can be fairly juicy and I would suggest that after you cut it that you throw it in a strainer and let it drain out for like 15 mins. Reserve the liquid and make pineapple margaritas! It's totes* a win win situation!

Her Demands...

1. On a baking sheet take Poblano pepper and lightly rub with olive oil and lightly salt. On a small sheet of aluminum place pineapple next to Poblano and throw under the broiler until they start to char! About 8 to 10 mins. Watch carefully Everyone's oven is different!

2. Once a little charred remove from oven and let cool completely. Cut Poblano in half and scoop out the seeds and chop! (remember when working with peppers to wash your hands thoroughly and not to touch your face as the heat can transfer...YIKES!)

3. Peel avocados by cutting in half, removing the seed and then scooping out with a spoon into a med/large bowl. With a potato masher or a fork mash till chunky. You don't want it too smooth and creamy.

4. Add onions, jalepeños, pineapple, poblano & cilantro to the mashed avocado and mix

5. Add Olive oil & lime juice. Mix.

6. Season with salt & pepper to taste. (I like a lot of pepper)

*(Totes = Totally... like duh! Sometimes my inner valley girl comes out)


And there you have it folks a little warm weather invocation! Put it on a chip, some Arnold's Whole Wheat Sandwhich thins (that was for you Weight Watchers) Your egg whites in the morning or anything else you so! She a mean temptress she is!


Till next time my little pop'ems!


Deliciously Living,

Michael Muñoz

The Gay Gourmet!™


©2011 Michael Muñoz

No comments:

Post a Comment